I want to stress this again: In many, many parts of the country right now, if you want to go to see a movie in the theater and see a current movie about a woman — any story about any woman that isn’t a documentary or a cartoon — you can’t. You cannot. There are not any. You cannot take yourself to one, take your friend to one, take your daughter to one.
There are not any.
By far your best shot, numbers-wise, at finding one that’s at least even-handedly featuring a man and a woman is Before Midnight (on 891 screens) so I hope you like it. Because it’s pretty much that or a solid, impenetrable wall of movies about dudes.
Dudes in capes, dudes in cars, dudes in space, dudes drinking, dudes smoking, dudes doing magic tricks, dudes being funny, dudes being dramatic, dudes flying through the air, dudes blowing up, dudes getting killed, dudes saving and kissing women and children, and dudes glowering at each other.
Somebody asked me this morning what “the women” are going to do about this. I don’t know. I honestly am at the point where I have no idea what to do about it. Stop going to the movies? Boycott everything?
They put up Bridesmaids, we went. They put up Pitch Perfect, we went. They put up The Devil Wears Prada, which was in two-thousand-meryl-streeping-oh-six, and we went (and by “we,” I do not just mean women; I mean we, the humans), and all of it has led right here, right to this place. Right to the land of zippedy-doo-dah. You can apparently make an endless collection of high-priced action flops and everybody says “win some, lose some” and nobody decides that They Are Poison, but it feels like every “surprise success” about women is an anomaly and every failure is an abject lesson about how we really ought to just leave it all to The Rock."
The whole article is fantastic, as is pretty much everything Linda Holmes writes.
- vitaminpistachio reblogged this from hanji-solo
- feelslikequicksand reblogged this from searchingforcompletion
- searchingforcompletion reblogged this from directorbear
- daylight--dreamer likes this
- samanthaajones reblogged this from yoyomarules
- katerinadelmar likes this
- thepresentsituation likes this
- wildandginger reblogged this from directorbear
- purficklyclean likes this
- lilybills likes this
- frannykay likes this
- sixtyminutesmoreorless reblogged this from yoyomarules
- observe-exhibit-a reblogged this from yoyomarules
- kelldar likes this
- lemonlyman156 likes this
- durkinator27 likes this
- restandshameandlove likes this
- waitingfortheworldtofall reblogged this from ceedling
- rialro reblogged this from yoyomarules
- rialro likes this
- stonesinyourshoes likes this
- yoyomarules reblogged this from theumbrellaseller
- fbotu likes this
- mountainlord likes this
- silentlywalkingbear likes this
- directorbear reblogged this from quotidianheroics
- howitzerliterarysociety likes this
- dreamaluciddreamofme reblogged this from quotidianheroics
- dreamaluciddreamofme likes this
- quotidianheroics reblogged this from suellenyjo
- ladylime likes this
- veecubb likes this
- youreamormont reblogged this from bilbosbaggins
- this-is-some-booty reblogged this from lovecanbesostrange
- angelus-autem-domini reblogged this from henriwotton
- time-vortex-hitchhiker likes this
- falchion-s-feathercap likes this
- jamesrodaysbutt likes this
- henriwotton reblogged this from silverstags
- tzippingby reblogged this from yourmotherisafish
- louisianna likes this
- birthofastranger reblogged this from gabbytwelveoclocke
- esandgees reblogged this from laughterkey
- republicansandtampons likes this
- cbhsfeminism reblogged this from literatebitch
- imfantasyparade likes this
- brandyouwiththefire likes this
- owlectomy likes this
- flaviia likes this
- word-smoothies reblogged this from diamond-joe